Skip to main content

Featured

"Queen of spades" cropped cardigan in Tunisian Crochet

THE MAKING OF A LOVELY CARDIGAN IN TUNISIAN CROCHET In the last little while, as you may have noticed, I have been working on an ambitious project: the creation of a Tunisian crochet garment, using a leaf motif (or "spades", as I preferred to call it) already seen in some wonderful knitting projects. First, I thought about replicating the spade pattern in Tunisian crochet, which was not difficult, as I have created similar patterns before - you can find them, for example, in these projects of mine: Leaf it On Shawl , Leaf it On Scarf , Leaf it On Cowl .  Leaf it On Scarf Next, I thought it best to make a garment that had a simple workmanship, i.e. worked flat, and not in the round, to avoid, at least initially, over-complicating the design. A cardigan, therefore, was the best choice. Next, I chose a yarn that I liked and opted for a fine multicoloured yarn. This was the result: "QUEEN OF SPADES" - THE CAL! I liked the finished garment very much, and so did you, whic

PATTERN RELEASE: Tunisian Crochet Honeycomb Pillowcase

I crocheted this two-tone Pillowcase in Tunisian crochet “Honeycomb Stitch” months ago and I finally got to writing the pattern for it now. Pictures I posted on my Instagram feed had a fairly good response, so I thought a pattern for this beauty would be appreciated. I find the texture of this stitch particularly elegant and perfect for creating beautiful and stylish home ornaments, like cushion covers, small blankets, seat covers and similar. Doesn’t it look amazing?

Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase
Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase


Tunisian Crochet 

I often wonder how many crocheters know or like Tunisian crochet. It is probably much less known and used than standard crochet, but I think many might be scared to learn a new technique, or are afraid it could be very complicated… but it isn’t! It actually is extremely easy, probably even easier than standard crochet or even knitting (I might make some video tutorials teaching the basics of Tunisian crochet soon in my YouTube Channel Hookloopsarah. Good idea? Let me know!) Also, Tunisian crochet might seem a bit boring: there are not as many different stitches as in standard crochet, apparently. This is probably true, but let me tell you: some stitches and techniques are so beautiful you end up wanting to learn Tunisian just so you can learn those stitches, too. You can see good examples of this in some of my most successful works: the Tunisian spiral, the Dragon Tail Shawlette, my Japanese in Tunisia bag, and more.

Examples of my works in Tunisian Crochet

The Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch

And how not to fall in love with the Honeycomb Stitch of this pillow cover, too? There is a similar stitch that’s maybe better known, the Tunisian Smock Stitch, which produces a similar texture but uses a different technique, so don’t confuse them: two different names for two different techniques and textures.


Pattern details and where to find it


I particularly love the yarn I used for this project: it’s called “Tube Cotton” and is by ICE Yarns; it is mainly cotton and is slightly stretchy, it’s like a ribbon yarn, but thinner and much easier to work than usual jersey or t-shirt yarn, so soft and cosy! As for the pattern for this pillowcase in Tunisian crochet Honeycomb stitch, as usual I tried to make it as simple and clear as possible, with many photos explaining every step of the process, using standard US terminology. You can find it in my Etsy shop, on Ravelry and LoveCrochet (take a look at my “Where to find my patterns & items” section above for all my links).

Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase
Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase

Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase
Honeycomb Tunisian crochet Pillowcase


Comments

Popular Posts