Skip to main content

Featured

"Queen of spades" cropped cardigan in Tunisian Crochet

THE MAKING OF A LOVELY CARDIGAN IN TUNISIAN CROCHET In the last little while, as you may have noticed, I have been working on an ambitious project: the creation of a Tunisian crochet garment, using a leaf motif (or "spades", as I preferred to call it) already seen in some wonderful knitting projects. First, I thought about replicating the spade pattern in Tunisian crochet, which was not difficult, as I have created similar patterns before - you can find them, for example, in these projects of mine: Leaf it On Shawl , Leaf it On Scarf , Leaf it On Cowl .  Leaf it On Scarf Next, I thought it best to make a garment that had a simple workmanship, i.e. worked flat, and not in the round, to avoid, at least initially, over-complicating the design. A cardigan, therefore, was the best choice. Next, I chose a yarn that I liked and opted for a fine multicoloured yarn. This was the result: "QUEEN OF SPADES" - THE CAL! I liked the finished garment very much, and so did you, whic

Crochet Pattern for spiral Basque Beret

crochet pattern basque beret
crochet pattern basque beret


MY FAVOURITE KIND OF HAT


I have just discovered that basque berets are just my favourite kind of hats! Do you know why? I have more than one reason: for once, a crochet basque beret is elegant enough to be worn by women of all ages (let’s be honest: how many women after 35 like to wear a tight beanie with pom pom? I do, but I know many girls around my age who would feel uncomfortable wearing a crochet hat, or would be afraid that it might ruin their hair), but not too sophisticated that you cannot wear it on any outfit. Also, basque berets are super cute on children (or even babies!), they give them that “serious” intellectual look that just makes you want to hug them right away; and basque hats are practical, too: they’re just as warm as tight-fitting beanies (just tuck your child’s ears in!), but the look will not be spoiled if your girl has a ponytail, for example (limited “bumps’ effect”, since basques are “bumpy” themselves). Finally, basque berets are unisex! This means if you’re thinking of an out-of-the-ordinary gift for a male friend of yours, this tam hat could be just the thing.

crochet pattern basque beret
crochet pattern basque beret



SPIRAL BASQUE BERET


Me being me, could I ever create a crochet pattern with a plain design? Of course not! Maybe I do have a thing for spirals (remember my spiral placemat in Tunisian crochet?), but I certainly have a fixation for unconventional designs. So since a simple basque beret form could be a little boring – both to wear and to crochet – I thought of writing an unusual spiraling pattern, creating a strong visual impact, almost an optical design, one that will certainly be noticed. My advice: choose one colour if you want to obtain an overall more sober look, otherwise opt for a beautiful self-striping yarn of your choice for most impressive results!

crochet pattern basque beret
crochet pattern basque beret


QUICK AND EASY PATTERN



In spite of its unconventional design, this pattern is super easy to crochet! All stitches used are the basic ones, the pattern is very repetitive, so you will not need to read the instructions once you get the grip of it. It is also very quick to create: 2 hours would probably be enough. Finally – what I personally always love in a pattern: you can make it in the yarn of your choice! Yes, provided you maintain proportions and given diameter, you will obtain the same result. My final tip: choose cotton or any other lighter yarn to create the perfect spring hat, too! Here’s the link to the pattern: BASQUE BERET PATTERN

crochet pattern basque beret
crochet pattern basque beret



Comments

Popular Posts